Raw spiralized apple and parsnip partner with shaved brussels sprouts, crisp watercress and a killer sumac tahini dressing to bring you a new vegan and gluten free power bowl recipe. When’s lunch?!?
Guys, how did I ever live before I discovered golden raisins?!?
Throw in some nutty, brown basmati rice and you’ve got yourself a real keeper of a healthy, plant-based lunch.Tweet this healthy vegan lunch to all your tweeps.Click To Tweet
I was excited when #thereciperedux announced this month’s power bowl theme. Not only do I love all things salad, it gives me a chance to talk about two of my new favorite things:
First, I’ve always loved parsnips, the vegetable, but I recently fell in love with the word. It’s my new favorite word and I’m using it as an adjective. It’s basically the perfect way to describe a bunch of people you don’t particularly like when you don’t want to use a curse word.
“Oh, they’re just a bunch of parsnips.”
And, in my head, it must be pronounced with a British accent.
Spiralized Apple and Parsnip Power Bowl with Sumac Tahini Dressing Recipe
It’s got a tart, almost citrusy flavor and is included in the very popular za’atar spice mixture. Sumac definitely deserves a permanent place in your spice cabinet. The more you use it, the more you’ll keep coming up with NEW ways to use it. Two of my recent favorites are:
- sprinkled on fruit and yogurt
- in the gold star Sumac Tahini Dressing I use for this power bowl
I’m really not a braggart but this dressing is UNREAL. It’s adorning way more than salads in this house . Think eggs. Sliced tomato. Radish and avocado toast. There hasn’t been a day since I created it that I haven’t had some at the ready in the fridge.
So, don’t be a bloody, buggery parsnip! Go make some right now!!
And, by the way, not having a spiralizer is not a valid reason to skip this recipe. While the spiralized apple and parsnip do lend an interesting texture to this power bowl, you can easily enjoy them sliced thinly, too.
- 1 honeycrisp apple spiralized
- 1 parsnip peeled and spiralized
- 2-4 raw brussels sprouts shaved
- 1/3 cup cooked brown basmati rice
- 1 scallion white and light green parts, sliced thinly
- golden raisins
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice about 3 limes
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sumac
- Line salad bowl with watercress.
- Arrange all other salad ingredients on top.
- Whisk all ingredients together in a small mixing bowl.
- Add water, teaspoon by teaspoon, to reach desired consistency.