Raw spiralized apple and parsnip partner with shaved brussels sprouts, crisp watercress and a killer sumac tahini dressing to bring you a new vegan and gluten free power bowl recipe. When’s lunch?!?
Guys, how did I ever live before I discovered golden raisins?!?
Throw in some nutty, brown basmati rice and you’ve got yourself a real keeper of a healthy, plant-based lunch.
I was excited when #thereciperedux announced this month’s power bowl theme. Not only do I love all things salad, it gives me a chance to talk about two of my new favorite things:
First, I’ve always loved parsnips, the vegetable, but I recently fell in love with the word. It’s my new favorite word and I’m using it as an adjective. It’s basically the perfect way to describe a bunch of people you don’t particularly like when you don’t want to use a curse word.
“Oh, they’re just a bunch of parsnips.”
And, in my head, it must be pronounced with a British accent.
Spiralized Apple and Parsnip Power Bowl with Sumac Tahini Dressing Recipe
It’s got a tart, almost citrusy flavor and is included in the very popular za’atar spice mixture. Sumac definitely deserves a permanent place in your spice cabinet. The more you use it, the more you’ll keep coming up with NEW ways to use it. Two of my recent favorites are:
- sprinkled on fruit and yogurt
- in the gold star Sumac Tahini Dressing I use for this power bowl
I’m really not a braggart but this dressing is UNREAL. It’s adorning way more than salads in this house . Think eggs. Sliced tomato. Radish and avocado toast. There hasn’t been a day since I created it that I haven’t had some at the ready in the fridge.
So, don’t be a bloody, buggery parsnip! Go make some right now!!
And, by the way, not having a spiralizer is not a valid reason to skip this recipe. While the spiralized apple and parsnip do lend an interesting texture to this power bowl, you can easily enjoy them sliced thinly, too.
15 minPrep Time
15 minTotal Time
- 1 honeycrisp apple, spiralized
- 1 parsnip, peeled and spiralized
- 2-4 raw brussels sprouts, shaved
- 1/3 cup cooked brown basmati rice
- 1 scallion, white and light green parts, sliced thinly
- golden raisins
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 3 limes)
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sumac
- Line salad bowl with watercress.
- Arrange all other salad ingredients on top.
- Whisk all ingredients together in a small mixing bowl.
- Add water, teaspoon by teaspoon, to reach desired consistency.