Looking for something to make for dinner tonight that’s a little bit different but still quick and easy? Try these pan-asian shrimp tacos.
I updated this post in March 2017 with new photos. The text and recipe remain the same.
I’m slightly concerned that what I’ve done here is potentially unorthodox. I’m new to cooking with Asian flavors so I’m not aware of any rules…but if there are any… I fear I’ve broken a few. I mean, lemongrass and granny smith apple??? Who do I think I am????
Obviously, I feel the need to pre-apologize for any transgressions I may have unwittingly made. I’m so well-trained from my Catholic school upbringing that the only way I will break a rule is if I’m completely unaware of its existence.*
*this statement is not 100% true. Prolly not even 70%.
But sometimes ignorance really is bliss.
These shrimp tacos are one example.
And, I’m pretty sure that…as soon as you taste them…you’ll cut me some slack.
I’ve been dying to share this recipe with you all. But a little someone named Tess, the eight month old puppy we brought home last week, had other ideas. She’s legit freaked out by kitchen appliances. Coffee grinders. Seltzer makers. Blenders. Frankly, even the Brita is a little too much for her nerves.
To be safe, I had to make part of this recipe in my back bedroom. With the door closed. And the shower running. So Tess wouldn’t hear the food processor.
Totally worth it.
Pin these Pan-Asian Shrimp Tacos to your [Tacos] or [Seafood] Pinterest Boards
A quick poll on Facebook revealed that the majority of people who responded to my poll eat shrimp tacos year round. I am firmly in that camp, too, because I just love shrimp and they cook up so quickly. If you’re not, however, I can only suggest you Pin this baby for next summer. I can’t imagine how you could wait that long. I could barely wait long enough to take these photographs.
Sharing this post at Home Matters Link Party and FoodieFriDIY.
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 Tablespoon thai red curry paste
- 1 Tablespoon white miso paste
- 2 Tablespoons scallion white bulb and light green part of stem, sliced thinly.
- 1/2 Tablespoon lemongrass sliced thinly
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger minced
- 1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1/4 cup ume plum vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon fish sauce
- 1/2 cup 0% greek plain yogurt
- 1 green apple shredded
- 1/4 head red cabbage shredded
- 12 corn tortillas
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add curry, miso, scallion, lemongrass, and ginger and stir to distribute throughout the pan.
Stir in the shrimp and cook a minute or two on each side.
Add mirin, plum vinegar and fish sauce. Deglaze pan and let shrimp simmer until the shrimp is cooked through on both sides.
- Remove shrimp with a slotted spoon.
- Remove skillet from heat and let sauce cool.
- Blend sauce with yogurt in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Make a bed of cabbage and green apple in the center of tortilla.
- Top with shrimp.
- Drizzle with sauce, to taste.
- This recipe is gluten free if you use corn tortillas and choose a gluten free miso paste.
- Sauce will keep in fridge for 3 to 5 days.
- Calorie info is approximate per taco and may vary according to exact ingredients used and serving size.