Ready to rock Taco Tuesday? These Healthy Ground Turkey Tacos are made with a no-salt-added homemade seasoning. Smoky, but not spicy, with a hint of cinnamon. You may find yourself wanting tacos more than once a week. And since they’re healthy, why the heck not??
Do you know that October 4th is National Taco Day? Otherwise known as It’s Your Patriotic Duty to Eat As Many Tacos As You Possibly Can Day? And Wash Them Down With a Margarita Day? Did you know this? Well don’t worry if it snuck up on you. My blogger buds at The Sunday Supper Movement and I have you covered. If these Healthy Ground Turkey Tacos don’t float your boat (which is like, really???) you’re sure to find what your looking for among my friends. All their deliciousness will be added to the bottom of this post.
But first we need to discuss these healthy ground turkey tacos.
Ground turkey is leaner than the more commonly used beef. That is good news in terms of health. But can be bad news in terms of taste. Ground turkey can sometimes be bland and dry. We get around that issue with our lip-smacking homemade seasoning which has a nice smoky flavor and a touch of tomato sauce to keep things moist.
No Salt Added Homemade Taco Seasoning
Obviously, the store bought seasoning packets are loaded with sodium. But even most homemade taco spice mixtures call for salt. This one does not. The only sodium in these tacos will come from the canned tomato sauce and chipotle peppers in adobo. And, if you top with olives, you’ll get some there too. But, overall, a significant reduction in sodium from your average taco with no sacrifice in flavor.
Topped with Greek Yogurt
I have found plain greek yogurt to be 100% satisfactory substitute for sour cream in my tacos. Greek yogurt has slightly less fat and fewer calories than sour cream but the real win with yogurt is that I’m getting all those probiotics.
Scroll down for the motherlode of all taco recipes I promised you. It’s under my recipe below.
These Healthy Ground Turkey Tacos are made with a no-salt-added homemade seasoning. Smoky, but not spicy, with a hint of cinnamon.
- olive oil
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 Tablespoon smoked spanish paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 Tablespoon chopped chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- juice of half a lime
Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium flame.
Add onion and sauté, stirring often, until softened. Around 4 to 5 minutes.
Add turkey meat. Increase heat slightly and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until it's barely pink.
Add garlic through coriander and cook, stirring often, until spices are well combined with the meat and most of the liquid is evaporated.
Add chipotle and tomato sauce. Lower heat and simmer about 10 minutes allowing flavors to come together. Add lime juice just before you take it off the heat.
Serve with tortillas (flour or corn.) Suggested toppings include shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, black olives and greek yogurt. Chopped cilantro to garnish.
- Spiced as is, the meat will have a nice smoky flavor but very little heat. Increase chipotles if you desire more of a kick.
- These clock in at about 91 calories per taco but varies according to ingredients and serving size.
Easy Taco Recipes #SundaySupper
Breakfast, Dessert, and Alternative Tacos
- Chorizo Tacos with Black Bean and Corn Salsa by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Jalapeno Cornbread Taco Pie by Soulfully Made
- Loaded Taco Tots by Gourmet Everyday
- Naked Egg Breakfast Tacos by Palatable Pastime
- Spicy Beef Cheesy Corn Taco Muffins by Food Lust People Love
- Veggie Packed Mouth-Watering Cauliflower Breakfast Tostadas by Bites of Wellness
Lunch and Dinner Tacos
- 1970s Style Tacos by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Asian-Spiced Black Cod Tacos with Kimchi and Avocado-Sriracha Mayo by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Buffalo Chicken Tacos by A Mind Full Mom
- Cinnamon Beef Tacos by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Easy Fish Taco Recipe by Sunday Supper Movement
- Healthy Ground Turkey Tacos by Mid-Life Croissant
- Low Carb Beef Tacos by Our Good Life
- Salmon Tacos with Watermelon Pico de Gallo by Pies and Plots
- Sloppy Joe Tacos by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Slow Cooker Asian Pork Tacos with Cabbage Slaw by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Slow Cooker Korean BBQ Tacos by Cricket’s Confections
- Steak Tacos with Chimichurri Sauce by The Freshman Cook
- Surf and Turf Tacos by The Weekend Gourmet
- Walking Chili Cheese Tacos by Bottom Left of the Mitten