These easy, gluten free zucchini fritters are a crowd pleaser and a great way to get more vegetables in your diet.
I never had a zucchini fritter in my life until about a month ago. When I came across Deb from Smitten Kitchen’s recipe something inside me snapped. I was like, “Must. Try. Fritters. NOW!” Full disclosure: this happens to me a lot on her site.
And for good reason!
Once you learn your way around a fritter, a whole new world opens up to you. Like these Curried Sweet Potato Fritters! There are peas in there yo! You can kind of go nuts. Hmmm…could you ADD nuts? *puts that on “to try” list*
Deb’s post taught me a lot about fritter basics. Like how to shred vegetables using my food processor (so great and easy!) And the importance of draining the zucchini with cheesecloth. Soggy fritters = Sad eaters.
Then I had a few ideas of my own. I don’t like to eat a lot of wheat. What about cornmeal? And I have these crazy-looking garlic scape thingys. Wonder how that would taste.
And if I used cornmeal instead of flour that would make these gluten free zucchini fritters, right?!? I’m not gluten free but I really enjoy creating tasty and uncomplicated recipes that are.
I’m very happy with this one.
My whole family is happy with this one. Which is very gratifying and also why this recipe makes a boatload of fritters. Still, the leftovers don’t last long and there is never waste.
- 2 lbs zucchini
- About 7 garlic scapes
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup fine yellow cornmeal
- Shred the zucchini in your food processor.
- Place shredded zucchini in a bowl, add salt and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Trim bulb end and tail off garlic scapes and slice the stem thinly (like a scallion.)
- Slice enough to fill 1/2 a cup.
- Strain zucchini through cheesecloth getting as much moisture out as possible.
- Add strained zucchini, garlic scapes, eggs, salt and pepper to taste to a large bowl and mix.
- Add cornmeal and mix to combine.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet (cast iron preferred) over medium heat.
- With two spoons working in tandem, add zucchini mixture to skillet, shaping and flattening as you go.
- Cook until golden brown at edges, around four minutes.
- Flip and cook on the other side.
Keep warm on baking sheet in 200° oven until ready to serve.
Delicious plain or with a yogurt dill sauce.