With Cinco de Mayo coming up, I’ve had Mexican food on my mind. Honestly, you could take the “Cinco de Mayo” out of that sentence and replace it with anything and it would still be true.
Mexican food is always on my mind. I could eat it every day. Cinco de Mayo just makes it even more special.
I have a lot of memories of growing up that include Mexican food. Chimichangas. Burritos. Enchiladas. These memories all take place in a brightly decorated restaurant with Mariachi music playing in the background. Mexican food didn’t start happening in my kitchen at home until recently when I dove down the rabbit hole of Mexican recipes on Pinterest and realized it was within the realm of possibility. It didn’t require any “special” equipment. You don’t have to grow up with an abuelita (although I’m sure that helps) to qualify. But my mind truly exploded when I realized I could use my slow cooker to make Mexican food.
Why did I think I’d retire my slow cooker when the warmer weather rolled around? Foolishness. More time outside + less heat in my kitchen = yes, please! I’m envisioning the kids and I coming home exhausted after a long fun day at the beach and having these waiting for us!
Shredded chicken tacos. All white meat chicken breasts and real spices. Seasoning packets are sooo yesterday. Can you feel your cholesterol level and blood pressure going down just thinking about it?
With all the lime juice and zest in these bad boys the flavor screams summer. If you like spice, add more jalapeño. I would be thrilled to do this but there is one among us, who shall remain nameless, who can’t handle the spice.
I serve these with tomatoes, red onions, grated cheese and olives. My kids layer them on top of the meat but I mix them all in together with the meat. This way I get a little taste of allthethings in every bite.
Wishing you a taste of allthethings this Cinco de Mayo (and every day leading up to it and following it.)
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 1 pickled jalapeño, minced
- 1 T chili powder
- 2 tsp coriander
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp lime zest
- Juice of 1 lime
- 4 oz cream cheese, cut into small chunks
- Combine everything from the tomatoes to the lime juice in a bowl and give it a good stir.
- Layer chicken breasts on the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Pour the tomato mixture evenly over the top of the chicken.
- Cook on low for 4 to 5 hours.
- Remove breasts to a large bowl and cover with tin foil.
- Add the cream cheese to the sauce in the crock pot and cook on high for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Shred the chicken breasts with two forks.
- Return the shredded chicken to the sauce, mix and keep warm in the slow cooker until you’re ready to serve.