Raise a glass to the spirit of exploration and discovery this weekend with a Badass Cristoforo, a rye-based riff on a Manhattan.
Imagine if reality television existed during the Age of Exploration?!? It would blow today’s shows out of the water. No seafaring pun intended.
These guys…these explorers…did not mess around. They were passionate visionaries who jumped through hoop after hoop for the chance to prove that the image in their head was real.
They had to:
- Get Funded – think Shark Tank
- Get There – think Amazing Race without maps. Or cell phones.
- Get Back – think I don’t even know. Is there a reality show where you have to reverse directions? There should be. It’s never as easy as you think it’ll be.
And you can also throw in a little American Idol because you know they sang their butts off when the waters were calm.
Not to mention drinking. You know they drank like fish. Manning a vessel like the Niña works up a wicked thirst. Better have something good to slake it with.
Strong. Flavorful. Balanced. Ballsy.
Columbus Day controversies aside, anyone who takes a risk…who goes into the unknown…and gets a team of people to go there with him…well, at the very least they deserve a bitchin’ cocktail.Tweet like a badass.Click To Tweet
As with a classic Manhattan, we start with a base of whiskey and vermouth. In this Columbus Day cocktail version, we tart that up with two Italian liquers, Amaro Montenegro and Maraschino Luxardo (Columbus was a paesano, after all.) The liquers bring a floral, fruitiness to the drink without making it too sweet. And the bitters finish it off with a note of orange.
- 1 part rye whiskey I used Rittenhouse.
- 1 part Amaro Montenegro
- 1/2 part dry white vermouth
- 1/2 part Maraschino Luxardo
- 2 shakes orange bitters
- Combine all ingredients in cocktail shaker or large glass.
- Serve over ice with a twist of lemon.