Delight your BBQ mates with this chipotle shrimp slaw. Smoky chipotle shrimp, shredded red cabbage and green apple tossed in a tangy lime and yogurt dressing is the perfect palate prep for all that meat coming off the grill.
We’re about to officially embark on my favorite time of year. Grilling season.
And let’s face it. It is absolutely, 100% a competition. The one with the best grill, the best yard, the best cocktails and the best guests WINS!
For us poor, unfortunate souls not in possession of a grill of one’s own (Virginia Woolfe just rolled over in her grave) our only hope for a productive and fruitful BBQ season is to get on the Best Guest list.
This year I’m preparing ahead of time with this #BestGuest series to make sure we all take Gold. It is so on.
Let’s take a moment here to consider what makes a best guest?
- tell great stories
- listen to other people’s stories
- offer to help clean up
- bring salads, starters and sides that are more unique and kick ass than anyone else’s
That last one is the only one I can help you with.
NOTA BENE: It’s almost impossible to get on the list by stopping by the liquor store on your way and picking up a six-pack. Even if it’s craft beer. Sorry. The only way beer makes the cut is if you brewed it yourself. Otherwise, your BBQ season is over before it even began.
Chipotle Shrimp Slaw Recipe
That said, the competition happens in advance of the actual event. Once you’re there, it’s OK…recommended even…to lighten up and enjoy the BBQ. That may, in fact, be the fifth criteria on the ‘what makes a best guest’ list. In other words, don’t throw the store-bought beer in the poor sod’s face. Pop one open and toast with the guy. Keep the fact that you’ll place higher than him on the #BestGuest list to yourself. It’ll make that lame beer taste a little better.
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo minced
- juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 pounds raw medium-sized shrimp; peeled cleaned and deveined
- 1/2 head red cabbage shredded
- 2 green apples shredded and tossed with lemon juice to prevent oxidizing
- 1 cup 0% plain greek yogurt
- zest of 1 lime
- juice of 2 limes
- In a small mixing bowl, combine garlic thru black pepper and mix well.
- Add shrimp and toss to coat thoroughly.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- While shrimp is marinating, make the dressing.
- Combine yogurt, zest and lime juice and stir well. If it's too thick add a little olive oil or more juice until you reach desired consistency.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Remove shrimp from refrigerator.
- Shake excess marinade off shrimp and spread in an even layer on baking sheet.
- Roast at 400 degrees for 6 to 8 minutes, until pink and cooked through.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- In a large serving bowl, combine shredded cabbbage, apple, and shrimp. Toss well. Coat with yogurt dressing and toss or serve dressing on the side.
Calorie information is approximate and will vary according to serving size.