Try these bacon wrapped nuts the next time you need a quick and easy crowd pleaser.
Unless your mother is a wise Carribbean woman with a throaty laugh and no time for bullshit. Then they might be hers. Tell her “thanks” for sharing.
They start off raw. Natural. Innocent.
Then we bathe them in pineapple juice alongside some lemongrass, lime juice and shredded coconut.
They know how happy you’re gonna be in 22 minutes. And they live to make you happy. (Unlike teenagers.)
And by the time they come out of the oven? They can pretty much see the future. It’s bright.
Here’s a little wrapping video. This will not make you a “rapper.” Just a “wrapper.” But, in the long run…which is more important??
These are delicious warm but hold up at room temperature so they’re great to have out for guests at a casual get together. Or if you simply want to blow the lid off the family meal tonight. I like to do that every once in a while.
As long as expectations don’t get too high.
Hungry for even more nuts?!? Try my Hot Candied Walnuts , Lavender Orange Glazed Cashews and Amaretto Glazed Chestnuts.
- 3 oz pineapple juice I used Dole
- 1 2-inch piece of bruised lemongrass fibrous outer layers removed.
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 Tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 Tablespoon golden syrup I used Lyle's
- 1 Tablespoon raw honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger root
- 1 cup raw unsalted macadamia nuts
- bacon cut into 4 strips - see video
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with tin foil. Place rack over foil.
- Combine first seven ingredients above (everything through the ginger) in a saucepan and simmer over medium-low heat for five minutes.
- Remove lemongrass.
- Add nuts.
- Stir well to coat.
- Remove from heat and let cool while you prepare the bacon.
- Cut bacon lengthwise, then in half crosswise to make four strips out of each bacon slice.
- Wrap nut in center of bacon strip (see video.) It's a little like swaddling an infant.
- Place bacon wrapped nuts on the rack. Drizzle (or brush) remaining pineapple mixture over top of nuts.
- Bake at 350 for 22 minutes. Less time if you want the bacon less crispy. I like it very crispy. Also, be sure to turn baking sheet half way through your cooking time to even things out.